(one year term, 21 hours per week)
Commensurate with experience
About Courthouse Libraries BC
Courthouse Libraries BC (CLBC) is seeking a one year term, part-time Liaison Lawyer based out of our Vancouver library.
CLBC is a province-wide independent not for profit society. Our vision is that everyone in BC has ready access to the legal information and resources they need. CLBC provides the legal community and public with legal resources, librarian expertise and informed referrals, to help people research and manage their legal issues.
We are looking for an outgoing and energetic individual to join our team.
Let our library be the next chapter in your career story. We offer a friendly and supportive workplace, where we value diversity and work-life balance. We need people with energy and passion to help us make a difference in the success of lawyers in practice.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Building the capacity of the legal community across BC to use legal information (especially for those in small firms and new practitioners) by participating in planning, creating and delivering training programs
- Looking for opportunities to collaborate with and developing partnerships with agencies in the legal community
- Giving presentations, attending events in the legal community, writing articles and engaging with clients in digital environments, including our social media platforms, to promote the value of the library and its role in access to justice
- Seeking out collaboration with lawyers, agencies in the legal community and even legal technology and information companies who promote valuable skills for today’s lawyers
- Working collaboratively with CLBC colleagues who support and participate in training and outreach activities
What You’ll Need:
- Minimum three (3) years of law practice experience in BC preferred, ideally in a small firm setting or as a sole practitioner; demonstrated knowledge of the education needs of lawyers and other legal professionals in BC, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- A keen interest in legal information and the evolution of the role of modern libraries
- An understanding of adult learning theory, experience providing online and in-person training, and an interest in exploring new and innovative ways of providing training
- A passion for using technology to connect with information, ideas and people
- An outgoing and energetic approach, and the ability to comfortably network in a variety of environments
- Confident and dynamic public speaking skills
- Project management skills
CLBC believes that a diverse team is necessary to do a good job of serving a diverse public. Lived experience as a member of an equity-seeking group is a preferred attribute.
How to Apply
Please apply at: Job Posting Liaison Lawyer
Please include in your cover letter how you meet the requirements of the position.
The deadline for application is November 13, 2022.
If you are selected during this process, you will be required to:
- participate in an in-person, video and/or telephone interview
- complete satisfactory reference check and criminal records check
CLBC employees are required to comply with workplace health and safety policies applicable to our workplaces, including COVID-19 vaccinations.
Courthouse Libraries BC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian Society, working together in an environment of equity, inclusion and respect. Persons from equity seeking groups are encouraged to self-declare.
We thank all who apply and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
As a condition of employment in the courthouse library system you must be prepared to undergo a criminal records check.