Position title: Librarian, Courthouse Libraries BC
Position status: Full time, permanent
Hourly rate: Starts at $34.78 per hour
About Courthouse Libraries BC
Courthouse Libraries BC (CLBC) is currently searching for a permanent, full-time Librarian for our new Abbotsford location. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a new library service to the legal community and the public in Abbotsford and surrounding areas.
CLBC’s vision is that everyone in BC has ready access to the legal information and resources they need. CLBC provides the legal community and public with legal resources, librarian expertise and informed referrals, to help people research and manage their legal issues.
We are looking for a team member with a customer service focus to provide information services to clients in the new Abbotsford branch and to be responsible for the day to day functioning and maintenance of the library. This position is part of our Reference Excellence team that works together to serve clients throughout the province.
We offer a dynamic and supportive workplace, where we value diversity and work-life balance. This position will be scheduled Monday to Friday, from 8:30am to 4:00pm, and may require some flexibility.
What you’ll be doing
- Assisting clients from the legal community and the public in finding and using legal information and tools, including:
- answering reference questions, and providing effective referrals, both in the library and via phone and email as part of our Reference Excellence team
- supporting clients in finding and using information on public access computers as well as printed materials
- circulating materials using an automated circulation system
- taking and filling document delivery orders
- Contributing to maintaining and developing the collection
- Providing orientations to the library and digital/print collections.
- Assisting with day to day maintenance of the library, including facilities and equipment.
- Supporting training and outreach for the legal community and for the public through our LawMatters program.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with local courthouse and community stakeholders
What you’ll need
- Master of Library and Information Studies from an ALA accredited university
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including in person, over phone and online
- Comfortable working as the only library employee in our Abbotsford location
- Ability to be flexible and work independently as well as part of a team
- Strong customer service skills
- Passion for initiating, building and sustaining the library’s presence within the courthouse and surrounding community
- Passion for learning about and responding to community needs
- Strong multitasking and prioritization skills
- Ability to assist a diverse community in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to master information sources and new technologies quickly
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate ‘Librarian, Abbotsford’ in your email subject line.
Your cover letter should describe how you meet the requirements of the position.
The deadline for applications is January 18, 2021 at 9:00 am.
Courthouse Libraries BC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian Society, working together in an environment of equity, inclusion and respect. Persons from equity seeking groups are encouraged to apply. We thank all who apply and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.