Position title: Librarian, Outreach & Legal Reference, Courthouse Libraries BC
Location: Vancouver (primary) and New Westminster (coverage)
Position status: Full time, permanent
Hourly rate: Starts at $34.78 per hour
About Courthouse Libraries BC
Courthouse Libraries BC (CLBC) is currently searching for an outreach librarian to provide support to our legal community training program and reference excellence teams.
CLBC’s vision is that everyone in BC has ready access to the legal information and resources they need. CLBC provides the legal community and public with legal resources, librarian expertise and informed referrals, to help people research and manage their legal issues.
CLBC operates several programs that help us achieve this vision. Our legal community training & professional development program coordinates educational programs for the legal community and is structured around and informed by:
- CLBC’s role in encouraging and providing access to continuing legal education, legal information, and resources; and
- Input from the legal community.
We are looking for a team member with a customer service focus to provide support to the CLBC legal community training program, provide legal information services to CLBC clients, and to share the responsibility for the day to day functioning and maintenance of the library. In addition to providing onsite information services, a significant part of this role will be to work directly with the legal community and CLBC Liaison Lawyer to support and assist with the ongoing development of legal community training.
We offer a dynamic and supportive workplace, where we value diversity and work-life balance. This is a permanent position to begin as soon as possible.
What you’ll be doing
- Supporting the Liaison Lawyer in developing and growing the training and support we provide to the legal community.
- Delivering in-person and online training to the legal community.
- Working collaboratively to develop supplementary reference tools and guides to support training initiatives.
- Promoting CLBC programs, including speaking at events.
- Maintaining an online presence for the legal community training program through social media platforms.
- Collecting and analyzing evaluation data.
- Assisting clients from the legal community and the public in finding and using legal information and tools, including:
- answering reference questions, and providing effective referrals
- supporting clients in finding and using information on public access computers as well as printed materials
- circulating materials using an automated circulation system
- taking and filling document delivery orders
- Working with the CLBC collections team to maintain knowledge and awareness of client trends and requests, and new resources.
- Providing orientations to the library and digital/print collections.
- Assisting with day to day maintenance of the library, including facilities and equipment.
What You’ll Need
- Master of Library and Information Studies from an ALA accredited university
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both in person and online
- Experience with community engagement
- Ability to be flexible and work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work a flexible schedule is an asset
- Ability to travel within BC
- Strong multitasking and prioritization skills
- Ability to assist a diverse community in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to master information sources and new technologies quickly
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please indicate ‘Librarian, Outreach Legal Reference’ in your email subject line.
Your cover letter should describe how you meet the requirements of the position.
The deadline for applications is January 18, 2021 at 9:00 am.
Courthouse Libraries BC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian Society, working together in an environment of equity, inclusion and respect. Persons from equity seeking groups are encouraged to apply.