Position Status: Permanent, Full-time, 5 days per week.
Hours Per Week: 35 hours
Hourly Rate: $28.39
About Courthouse Libraries BC
Courthouse Libraries BC (CLBC) is seeking a permanent, full-time Library Technician for our Vancouver library.
CLBC is a province-wide independent not for profit society. Our vision is that everyone in BC has ready access to the legal information and resources they need. CLBC provides the legal community and public with legal resources, librarian expertise and informed referrals, to help people research and manage their legal issues.
We are looking for a team member to provide the best client support possible in a welcoming and inclusive environment in our Vancouver branch. You will be part of our province-wide Frontline Services team that serves clients throughout the province.
The Library Technician provides support to the print & digital collections team, our 30 branch libraries, the ILS, subscription databases and the CLBC website. The physical management of the Vancouver collection is a key component of this role. The Library Technician provides assistance and information to our library clients at the information desk, as required.
We offer a supportive workplace, where we value diversity and work-life balance. This position is a five-day per week position (35 hours per week). Work hours in our Vancouver location are Monday to Friday, between 8:30 and 4:30pm.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Providing the best customer support possible
- Working within a collaborative team in-person and virtually via Zoom, MS Teams, etc.
- Responding to legal information questions in-person, via phone and e-mail
- Promoting library services, building relationships with clients and stakeholders, and supporting our public facing programs
- Contributing to the day to day operation and maintenance of the library (cleaning, receiving and sending mail, etc.)
- Assisting clients to find and use legal information using all available resources
- Providing document delivery, circulation and shelving duties and processing of library materials, maintaining client accounts
- Providing administrative support such as statistics and reporting
- Handling point of sale and cash transactions
- Working as part of the Collection Development team to manage the acquisition and processing of library materials, including troubleshooting
- Maintaining and creating accurate records and documentation
- Performing original and copy cataloguing, assigning MOYS’ call numbers, maintaining bibliographic records and supporting ongoing library catalogue maintenance
- Providing support for the ILS, subscription databases and website
- Overseeing the physical condition of the Vancouver collection, including storage, noting needed repairs, processing issues
- Working in other library branches when needed
What You’ll Need
- Library Technician Diploma from an accredited program
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Previous experience serving the public
- Ability to set boundaries, use good judgment, and willingness to ask for assistance and team support
- Ability to balance differing audiences and services
- Willingness and ability to learn and use new electronic products and tools.
- Knowledge of cataloguing standards
- Attention to detail, while knowing perfection is not attainable
- Good record-keeping skills
- Interest in providing access to justice for all members of our community and a desire to incorporate anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion practices in your work.
- Experience in law libraries an asset
CLBC believes that a diverse team is necessary to do a good job of serving a diverse public. Lived experience as a member of an equity-seeking group is a preferred attribute.
How to Apply
Please apply at: Library Technician Vancouver Permanent Fulltime
Please include in your cover letter how you meet the requirements of the position.
The deadline for application is August 21, 2022.
If you are selected during this process, you will be required to:
- participate in an in-person, video and/or telephone interview
- complete satisfactory reference check
CLBC employees are required to comply with workplace health and safety policies applicable to our workplaces, including COVID-19 vaccinations.
Courthouse Libraries BC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian Society, working together in an environment of equity, inclusion and respect. Persons from equity seeking groups are encouraged to self-declare.
We thank all who apply and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.