Courthouse Libraries BC (CLBC) is seeking casual, on-call Library Assistants for various locations in the Lower Mainland.
Lower Mainland, BC (including Vancouver, North Vancouver, New Westminster, Surrey, Port Coquitlam, Abbotsford, Chilliwack)
$24.88 per hour
About Courthouse Libraries BC
CLBC is a province-wide independent not for profit society. Our vision is that everyone in BC has ready access to the legal information and resources they need. CLBC provides the legal community and public with legal resources, librarian expertise and informed referrals, to help people research and manage their legal issues.
We are looking for team members to provide the best client support possible in a welcoming and inclusive environment in our libraries throughout the Lower Mainland.
We are looking to increase our casual pool of library assistants. Please indicate in your cover letter which location or locations you are interested in working at.
Locations include Vancouver, North Vancouver, New Westminster, Surrey, Port Coquitlam, Abbotsford, Chilliwack. Working hours in:
- Vancouver are Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm
- New Westminster and Abbotsford are Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4pm
- Surrey and Chilliwack are once a week from 8:30am to 4pm
- North Vancouver and Port Coquitlam are a few hours, once a month
You will support the day to day functioning and maintenance of the library and be part of our province-wide Frontline Services team that serves clients throughout the province.
We offer a supportive workplace, where we value diversity and work-life balance. You will be scheduled for casual shifts as required.
What You’ll Be Doing
Serving the legal community and general public
- Providing the best customer support possible
- Providing basic legal information and referral assistance
- Working within a collaborative team in person and virtually via Zoom, MS Teams, etc.
- Representing CLBC in a professional manner
- Contributing to the day to day operation and maintenance of the library (tidying library, cleaning print collection, sanitizing IT equipment, receiving and sending mail, etc.)
- Providing document delivery, circulation and shelving duties and processing of library materials, maintaining client accounts (depending on the location)
- Providing administrative support such as entering daily statistics
- Handling point of sale and cash transactions in the full-time locations
What You’ll Need
- Available to take shifts during working hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm)
- Completion of Grade 12
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Previous experience serving the public
- Ability to set boundaries, use good judgment, and willingness to ask for assistance and team support
- Ability to balance differing audiences and services
- Willingness and ability to learn to use new tools
- Ability to use or learn to use electronic products and tools, such as Office 365 and library databases
- Interest in providing access to justice for all members of our community and a desire to incorporate anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion practices in your work
CLBC believes that a diverse team is necessary to do a good job of serving a diverse public. Lived experience as a member of an equity-seeking group is a preferred attribute.
How to Apply
Please apply at: Library Assistant, Casual on-call - Lower Mainland
Please attach a cover letter to your resume stating how you meet the requirements of the position, which location or locations you are interested in applying for and your availability (hours/days of the week).
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
If you are selected during this process, you will be required to:
- participate in an in-person, video and/or telephone interview(s)
- complete a satisfactory reference check and criminal records check
CLBC employees are required to comply with workplace health and safety policies applicable to our workplaces, including COVID-19 vaccinations.
Courthouse Libraries BC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian Society, working together in an environment of equity, inclusion and respect. Persons from equity seeking groups are encouraged to self-declare.
We thank all who apply and only those selected for an interview will be contacted