In 1869 the founders of the Law Society resolved that the first objective of the Society would be the formation of a law library. The first library was set up in Victoria in 1869 followed by a library in New Westminster in 1890. The Vancouver library was established in 1893. Over the years the library system expanded throughout the province and in the early 1950s Vancouver became the main library.
The Society was formed in 1975 to manage the libraries throughout the province. In 1984 the Society changed its name from the B.C. Law Library Foundation to the British Columbia Courthouse Library Society.
B.C. Law Library Foundation formed.
Name changed to B.C. Courthouse Library Society.
Copy cards are first used for photocopying.
Staff first accessed the Internet for users.
Online catalogue became operational.
Computer workstation roll out across 25 libraries.
A - Z Knowledge Base goes public
- renamed Asked & Answered
- renamed Our Legal Knowledge Base in 2017
- Clicklaw beta website launched.
- LawMatters virtual launch.
Launch of first Online Learning course for CPD.
- Lawyers' Reading Room launched
- renamed Remote Access to Subscription Databases, 2017
- Clicklaw Wikibooks launched
Book-in-a-Box service launched.
Online community platform Lawbster is created
Adjustments to library service delivery in response to Covid-19.
Abbotsford branch is opened.