Outreach Librarian – Legal reference focus, Courthouse Libraries BC
Vancouver (primarily) and New Westminster
Full time term position to December 31, 2020 (Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm)
About Courthouse Libraries BC
Courthouse Libraries BC (CLBC) is currently searching for a librarian to provide support to our various services and programs, in particular our frontline legal information services and our LawMatters Program.
CLBC’s vision is that everyone in BC has the legal information they need and the ability to use it. CLBC connects the legal community and the public in BC with legal information and strives to equip our clients with the skills needed to use this information.
CLBC operates several programs that help us achieve this vision: LawMatters works with public libraries throughout BC, and our librarians provide legal information services to the legal community and the public in our courthouse library location.
We are looking for a team member with a customer service focus to provide support to the LawMatters program, provide legal information services to CLBC clients, and to share the responsibility for the day to day functioning and maintenance of the library. In addition to providing onsite information services, a significant part of this role will be to work more directly with public libraries to support their public legal information needs and questions.
We offer a dynamic and supportive workplace, where we value diversity and work-life balance. This is a term position to December 31, 2020.
Please indicate in your cover letter the name of the position and focus area that you are applying for.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Assisting clients from the legal community and the public in finding and using legal information and tools, including:
- answering reference questions, and providing effective referrals
- supporting clients in finding and using information on public access computers as well as printed materials
- circulating materials using an automated circulation system
- taking and filling document delivery orders
- Working with the CLBC collections team to maintain knowledge and awareness of client trends and requests, and new resources
- Providing orientations to the library and digital/print collections
- Assisting with day to day maintenance of the library, including facilities and equipment
- Delivering training and support to public library staff on how to work with legal information resources targeted at a public audience.
- Promoting CLBC programs, including speaking at events
- Working collaboratively to develop digital content
- Collecting and analyzing evaluation data and writing reports
What You’ll Need
- Master of Library and Information Studies from an ALA accredited university
- Knowledge of public libraries in BC
- Knowledge of PLEI in BC
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both in person and online
- Experience with community engagement
- Comfortable working occasionally as the only library employee in our New Westminster location
- Ability to be flexible and work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to travel to courthouse library and public library locations across BC
- Strong multitasking and prioritization skills
- Ability to assist a diverse community in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to master information sources and new technologies quickly
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter by e-mail to email@example.com indicating which position you are applying for.
Your cover letter should describe how you meet the requirements of the position. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2019.
We thank all who apply and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. As a condition of employment in the courthouse library system you must be prepared to undergo a criminal records check.