How can I obtain a copy of a divorce order?
Last revised April 11, 2018

For a certified copy of a BC divorce order, first contact the court registry in BC where the divorce was filed. The Registry may be able to supply a copy

BC Archives 

If the divorce records have been transferred to the BC Archives, the registry staff should be able to provide the accession number, box, volume, folio, file numbers, and date of the final order. With this information you may write to the BC Archives to request a copy.

Divorced in BC before 1983

If the divorce took place in BC before 1983 and you do not know where it was filed, you can contact BC Archives, or use the Division of Vital Statistics Index to Divorce Orders, 1901 - 1983 (located in the BC Archives, call number GR-3254) to identify the location and date of the divorce.

If a certified copy of the order is not required, the Index can be used to access copies of divorce orders submitted to the Division of Vital Statistics between 1935 and 1983 (orders located in the BC Archives, call number GR-3255). These orders are intended for reference purposes only.

If a certified copy of the order is required, a copy should be made from the original filed document which may be available from BC Archives or may still be in the custody of the issuing court registry.

Divorced anywhere in Canada after 1968

If the divorce took place after July 2, 1968 and you do not know where the divorce was filed, you may also contact the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings in Ottawa.

The main role of the Registry is to detect duplicate divorce proceedings.  It keeps the records of divorce petitions and divorce orders from 1968 to the present for all of Canada. They will provide the local registry location where the divorce was filed and its registration number so that you may then contact that registry for more information.

To perform a search of their records, they require the full name and birthdate for both former spouses and the date of marriage.

The Registry may only give you information about someone else's divorce if you need it to enforce a law or if you have the consent of one of the parties.



BC Archives
675 Belleville Street
Victoria, B.C. V8W 9W2
tel.: 250 387 1952
fax: 250 387 2072
toll free: call Service BC for assistance (604-660-2421 or 1-800-663-7867
Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings
c/o Family Law Assistance Services
Department of Justice
PO Box 2730, Station D
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5W7
tel.: 613-957-4519
fax: 613-941-2520