Updated January 15, 2021: At this time, as physical access to the library is limited in response to Covid-19, you can ask librarians to perform searches in WestlawNext Canada on your behalf. Contact us by email or phone at:
Courthouse Libraries BC maintains a subscription to the WestlawNext Canada database. This database provides access to a large collection of primary sources, commentary, forms and precedents and other finding tools.
WestlawNext Canada is available on-site on any Courthouse Library Public Access Computer.
At this time the Courthouse Library BC subscription to Westlaw Next Canada includes:
A large collection of criminal law resources featuring cases, articles, newsletters, commentary and annotations including citing references. Some of the sources you will find:
- Canadian Criminal Cases
- Martin’s Annual Criminal Code
- Canadian Sentencing Digests
- Tremeear’s Annotation
- Youth Criminal Justice Act Manual
Words & Phrases
- Provides researchers with judicial interpretations of words and phrases drawn from over 100 years of Canadian court and tribunal decisions
Canadian Encyclopedic Digest
- Provides a comprehensive statement of law of Ontario and the four Western provinces as derived from case law and legislation
O’Brien’s Encyclopedia of Forms – Division I
- Collection of commercial forms and precedents
In addition to the resources available to all users on WestlawNext Canada, Courthouse Libraries BC staff also have access to Westlaw international. Westlaw International allows staff to search:
Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Precedents of Pleadings, Chitty on Contracts, Clerk & Lindsell on Torts, Blacks’ Law Dictionary, as well as cases from the UK and other commonwealth countries.