This page was updated July 31, 2020.
In response to the COVID-19 outbreak both the BC and Federal governments have passed emergency legislation. This page will collect links to those statutes and capture some basic information about their passage into law.
The BC Government has emergency powers under the Public Health Act (SBC 2008 c. 28) and the Emergency Program Act (RSBC 1996 c.111). Orders made under the Public Health Act can be made orally during the emergency. A collection of orders made under the act can be found on the Office of the Provincial Health Officer’s Current Health Topics page.
Ministerial Orders released by the Ministry of Public Safety & Solicitor General in relation to the state of emergency can be found on BCLaws beginning with order 2020_M082.
The following Ministerial Orders have been made in relation to COVID-19: M082-M086, M089, M091, M093, M094, M098, M105, M114, M115, M116, M120, M121, M128, M133, M138, M139, M150, M152, M159, M161, M162, M166, M167, M168, M179, M180, M183, M192, M193, M195, M220, M248 and M257.
A list of general emergency support and information from the province can be found here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support
|Title||Chapter number||Royal assent date
(Coming into Force)
|Supply Act (No 2) 2020||2020 SBC 5||Bill 15||Mar. 23, 2020|
|Employment Standards Amendment Act (No 2), 2020||2020 SBC 6||Bill 16||Mar. 23, 2020|
|COVID-19 Related Measures Act||2020 SBC 8||Bill 19||July 8, 2020|
The BC Courts have released several notices concerning their operations during the COVID-19 outbreak. Each court has an index page collecting these notices:
- Index of Provincial Court COVID-19 Notices
- Index of Supreme Court COVID-19 Notices
- Index of Court of Appeal COVID-19 Notices
The following acts have been passed since the emergency was declared:
|Title||Chapter number||Bill number||Royal assent date
(Coming into Force)
An Act Respecting Certain Measures in Response to COVID-19
|SC 2020 c. 5||Bill C-13||Mar 25, 2020|
|A second Act respecting certain measures in response to COVID-19 (COVID-19 Emergency Response Act, No. 2)||SC 2020 c.6||Bill C-14||April 11, 2020|
|An Act respecting Canada emergency student benefits (coronavirus disease 2019)||SC 2020||Bill C-15||May 1, 2020|
- Transport Canada has released interim orders and guidance outlining temporary rules affecting transit by aviation, rail, road and marine vehicles during the state of emergency, as well as listing links to other government resources. They can be found here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-tc.html
- BC Ferries - the interim order from Transport Canada affecting BC Ferries can be found here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-tc/interim-order-respecting-passenger-vessel-restrictions-coronavirus-disease-2019.html
Municipalities have legislation which allows them to declare emergencies and take action in a crisis. On May 26, 2020 the Provincial Government suspended all municipal states of emergency, except for the city of Vancouver, citing a need to centralize a response province-wide in Ministerial Order M083. Vancouver’s emergency powers are granted in s.173 of the Vancouver Charter.