In British Columbia courts, audio recordings are made of all court proceedings. Access to written transcripts by the public is determined by policies set by the Court of Appeal, BC Supreme Court and BC Provincial Court.
Publicly accessible transcripts must be ordered directly from the transcription companies listed in the provincial website linked below. You will need to have the following information when ordering the transcript:
- Whether the hearing was in the Provincial or Supreme Court
- The date of the hearing
- The court file number
The Supreme Court Policy on Access to the Court Record Parts 6 & 7 outlines the rights and methods of access available in BC.
- File Court Documents and Forms – Government of BC
- Order a Court Transcript – Government of BC
- Court Record Access Policy – Supreme Court of BC
- Access to the Court Record – Government of BC
- Court Reporters and Transcribers – Courthouse Libraries BC
Transcript, Supreme Court