Indigenous name reclamation – Change of name applications
Last revised March 05, 2024

All instructions are for applying for a personal name change, not the names of dependent children.

How to apply

You can apply for a name change online or by submitting paper forms.

Completed applications can be delivered in person to any ServiceBC location, or sent by mail to the department of Vital Statistics at:

Vital Statistics Agency,


PO Box 9657 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria,

B.C. V8W 9P3

How to waive the fees

Per recommendation 17 of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, survivors of residential schools, their families or any individual impacted by the Sixties Scoop can apply for a change of name through the department of Vital Statistics and have their fees waived. This requires a written declaration, a sample of which can be viewed here.

The fee for fingerprinting cannot be waived by Vital Statistics since the service is handled by outside agencies, though those services may be willing to waive their fees separately.

Applicants should also request a new Birth Certificate and/or Marriage Certificate when their application is filed, which will be provided free of charge once the name change application is completed.


You can use the following form to apply for a change of name:

Additional Costs (applicable if not waived)

Some additional costs may apply to an application for a change of name if they are not waived using the declaration linked above.

  • Fingerprinting
  • Criminal record check
  • Witnessing your signature on a statutory declaration
  • Certifying documents
  • New identification following the name change

Other documents

If you were born in Canada you will also need an original birth certificate. If you were born outside of Canada you will need a certified copy of both sides of your most recently issued Permanent Resident Card of Canadian Citizenship Card/Certificate. Other circumstances may apply, see the full list of required documents here (BC Government website).


The Indigenous Community Legal Clinic can provide assistance with forms and the filing process. Please contact them by: